Thursday, July 26, 2012

How did you sleep last night???

Here is a question I get asked by George everyday. Usually he gets the same answer "Fine, you"? I have to say today's answer will be a little different. You see when I was waking up yesterday morning I witnessed Raegan having a seizure in her sleep. Just a bit alarming but I managed to keep my cool and run for the video camera since it is the best tool at home to help the neuro besides notes. Dash to the kitchen where it's charging and BAM! I remember that even though I had the thought to put a new disk in I didn't so now it's too late since it takes forever to format a new one. UGH! So what does that mean for me?...

I sat in my "tea" chair with my laptop until 11:30pm scouring epilepsy.com and circleofmoms.com and the epileptic board I am on there. I sat, scrolled and watched Raegan sleep on the couch. I had two hours previous to this set up my tripod with the video camera (new disk ready to go). But as time went on I was really getting tired but I couldn't sleep sitting up, not enough room on the couch to share, can't sleep on the floor can't see her directly, recliner on the wrong side too heavy to move and didn't want to move her so now what? AHA! (These are the times that I am thankful my daddy taught me to look outside the box) I took my 'tea' chair pushed the end of the coffee table up to it and now had a half soft furniture, half wood "lounge chair" but last time I checked sleeping on wood was not too comfortable, then I remembered the small fouton couch in the playroom. Let's just say it fit perfect over my concoction and I now had a bed...

Off to dream land one would hope but when you are "waiting" for something to happen you don't really sleep. I dozed here and there but every little rustle and deep breath had me lurching to sit to see if 'this was it'. It wasn't. Before I knew it it was 3:30am and George was up for work so I listen for the shower to go off so I can make his lunch. Get him out the door, lay back down and doze a bit. At I SWEAR 5:55am I laid and prayed "Lord Jesus PLEASE let Carley sleep in the morning. If she wakes up early it will be hard since we are in her morning space and it will be hard to keep her from waking Raegan. PLEASE let her sleep in, Amen" 6:00am I feel Carley's little hands at my shoulder. Stealth little girl got out of her room and I never heard her! So now I'm up but I put her back in her crib in hopes of buying some more time. Glad I did. Returning to the living room, there she is. Raegan looking so very sweet but at the same time there IT is. The tell tale signs. Lips twitching, shoulder then arm, slight rocking. QUICK hit record.

This by far is not a journey any parent ever thinks they will be on. As I type though it dawns on me that even though I was a bit irritated at God with a snide "Thanks for letting Carley sleep in" it is unfolding that had she not woken me up and that whole scenario I would have missed what I had stayed up all night for. Thank you Jesus for the little details!

Now I think I just may have to have some coffee it's gonna be a long day! Blessings to you all1

1 comment:

  1. and I thought I (underscored) was the 'queen of rigging' stuff :)
    You are an amazing mom in so many ways Annette -- there's not a mom out there who won't relate to your journey.
    Go Momma Tiger!

    ReplyDelete